The Importance of Conducting a Social Media Search in a Background Investigation
A discussion about trends in pre-employment background investigations wouldn’t be complete without mentioning how to conduct a proper social media search.
A social media search is an important tool to use in background investigations. The purpose of a social media search is to identify adverse information which is a critical part of the employment process. Great intel can be be gleaned from the social media search.
Why use a Social Media Search as Part of an Investigation?
- 70% of employers use a social media search as a tool to screen candidates
- 51% of employers use a social media search to research current employees
- The number of people who use social media is staggering! (3.196 Billion people are using social media – up from 13% last year
- Those interested in conducting a social media search should know the top usage sites:
- Facebook – 2.2 Billion
- YouTube – 1.9 Billion
- Instagram – 1 Billion
- Twitter – 335 Million
Companies that conduct a Social Media Search can find adverse information that can help your business. Compliance, reputation and safety are primary factors.
What can a Social Media Search Discover?
- Racist/Sexist or Discriminatory Behavior
- Sexually Explicit Materials
- Threats or Acts of Violence
- Potential Illegal Activity
When a social media search is conducted properly, all protected class information is redacted.
For more information or to see sample social media search reports, click here: https://www.allianceinvestigative.com/social-media-hiring-reports-2/
If you would like to speak to a representative regarding a social media search, email firstname.lastname@example.org.